The Thanksgiving Holiday is just around the corner, and it gives us pause to reflect on our many blessings. Giving thanks and showing gratitude are a part of our culture, and I wanted to take a moment to show my appreciation for CAHL’s many talents and gifts by highlighting ten areas of gratitude:
- Incredible Board of Directors: CAHL has a highly engaged Board of Directors that provide strategic and operational guidance in many areas for our members including educational programs, networking for the military, senior leaders, students, and other resource groups, mentorship, career development, Board of Governor’s exam preparation, communications, sponsorship, financial stewardship, and many more. How impressive is that! Our commitment to reaching each CAHL member at least once a year demonstrates that we do make a difference in the work that we do.
- Solid CAHL Membership: As one of the largest chapters in the United States, we have 1,400 members living in fifty of California’s fifty-eight counties. Our talent and skills are carried out through exceptional service each and every day, and it would be remiss of me not to mention that our dedication and commitment are second to none!
- Resilience: We are a voluntary membership association that remained committed to advancing this organization during a pandemic. While Covid-19 and other challenges had many of us busy at the peak of the pandemic, we provided unyielding support to our members. I can proudly say our resilience, optimism, hope, and confidence remain contagious.
- Member Engagement: We continue to see improved member engagement through ongoing participation in our various events and services. Your connection to CAHL makes me proud to be a part of this organization.
- Fellowship Advancement: Our members have taken great strides towards advancing in their careers by seeking board certification and fellowship in the College. The ongoing commitment to lifelong learning and professional development are noteworthy.
- Financial Stewardship: CAHL continues to look for ways to be good stewards of our resources. We have provided free networking sessions and reduced or no cost award and educational programs. The 2022 Annual Meeting and Awards Program was one of our most recent opportunities, and it was a huge success! We will continue to explore additional ways to provide value to our members as part of your annual membership dues.
- Executive Board Leadership: Our Executive Board (President, Past President, President Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and Regent) have been very engaged in navigating the many healthcare changes we face each day. They have developed cohesive and meaningful relationships with our members, and I know this will continue to light our pathway to success.
- Operational Excellence: CAHL leaders have found strength in working as a team, learning lessons from one another, and navigating change as leaders. In return, we have gained insight into best practices that will continue to improve supporting processes and procedures to deliver the best value.
- Phenomenal Departmental Support: Leaders who provide support to their staff catapult departmental success. Tamara Dilbert provided vital support as CAHL’s Administrative Director. She advanced many different programs and services with her behind-the-scenes prowess. Her unwavering support was pivotal in gaining momentum both locally and nationally.
- All of You! Each and every one of you are the reason we volunteer at CAHL. You feed our spirits, empower us to be the best people we can be, and allow us to “give back” to our colleagues and peers. Thank you for being a part of CAHL! Let us know how we can continue to engage you in this important organization.
When you sit down with family and friends on Thanksgiving Day to give your thanks, show gratitude for your colleagues and peers, our healthcare staff, and the opportunity to make a difference each and every day in caring for each other and our patients.
Michael O’Connell, MHA, FACMPE, FACHE I
President, California Association of Healthcare Leaders